Rosary Facts and Quotes
- The rosary became an official devotional of the Catholic Church in 1569 thanks to Pope Pius the V.
- There were originally only 3 sets of mysteries: The Joyful, The Sorrowful, and The Glorious. St. JPII added the 4th set, The Luminous, in 2002. Additionally, a rosary was originally all 15 decades, but St. Dominic made the 5 decades form more popular in the 1200's.
- The rosary is not strictly Catholic, many other Christian denominations pray with the rosary as well, though their interpretation might differ slightly from the Catholic view.
- The rosary evolved from the laity wanting to imitate the Divine Office of Catholic Monks, which is all 150 Psalms. Many of the laity could not read, however, so they replaced the Psalms with Aves or Hail Marys!
- October 7th is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, which celebrates the Christian Victory over the Ottoman Turks in 1571. This victory was only possible due to thousands praying the rosary! To read more about it follow this link.
- "If you wish to convert anyone to the fullness of the knowledge of Our Lord and of His Mystical Body, then teach him the Rosary. One of two things will happen. Either he will stop saying the Rosary — or he will get the gift of faith." - Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen
- "The Rosary is the 'weapon' for these times."- Saint Padre Pio
- "The Holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."- St. Josemaria Escriva
- “Give me an army saying the Rosary, and I will conquer the world.” - Blessed Pope Pius IX
- “One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
- Saint Dominic
"The Rosary is the best therapy for these distraught, unhappy, fearful, and frustrated souls precisely because it involves the simultaneous use of three powers: the physical, the vocal, and the spiritual, and in that order." - Venerable Archbishop Sheen